AGU’s next CEO and Executive Director will be Randy Fiser
We are excited to announce Randy Fiser will be AGU’s CEO and executive director, effective 17 August 2020.
Randy was the clear choice for this position because he is passionate about AGU’s mission and vision, has a demonstrated ability to creatively lead organizations and shares AGU’s commitment to advancing diversity and inclusion. Randy is a skilled executive with strong collaborative and administrative skills, has a proven track record of working with membership organizations to advance their mission and has worked throughout his career to advance sustainability practices and goals.
Randy is eager to work with the AGU community to build upon the last 100 years of scientific advances by expanding both discovery and solution-based sciences through new partnerships. Like all of us, he recognizes the challenges and opportunities presented by the pandemic. He is motivated to work with the AGU community to ensure that future global challenges are met with a stronger foundation for decisions based on sound science.
Randy joins us from the American Society of Interior Designers (ASID) where he was the CEO and president. By creating values-based messaging on the impact of design, Randy turned ASID into a leading professional society. During his eight-year tenure, his accomplishments included:
- grew membership, non-dues revenue and the awareness of organization with the community.
- developed new conferences and programs based on gaps in the community’s needs.
- repositioned the organization as a thought leader through strategic alliances and partnerships.
ASID’s headquarters are the world’s first WELL and LEED Platinum office. As president and CEO, Randy worked with scientists and engineers as well as interior designers to install features in the headquarters to improve productivity, engagement and staff retention, all of which ultimately enhanced the organization’s visibility. We are confident that he will be impressed with our award-winning building as the first net zero renovation in D.C.!
Julie Freeman and Randy will be working closely to ensure a smooth transition along with the senior team. I know that we, along with the AGU staff, appreciate Julie’s leadership during this time.
We are grateful to the search committee who donated a lot of time and energy to find the best person to move the Earth and space sciences community forward.
- Eric Davidson, AGU Past President, Board member
- Carol Finn, AGU Past President
- Greg Goldsmith, early career
- Michele Koppes, Cryosphere section president-elect, Council member, mid-career
- Rick Murray, Board member
- George Tsoflias, past Near Surface Geophysics section president, past Council member & past Leadership Development/Governance Committee member
- Susan Lozier, AGU President-elect, Board member & Council chair
- Robin Bell, AGU President, Board member
We will soon share some opportunities so you can get to know Randy and welcome him aboard. Please leave welcoming comments for Randy (and the world) to see below.